The Alhambra Evansville Theatre was an old neighborhood theatre that served the Haynie’s Corner area (named after the old Haynie’s Drug Store). The theatre was built on the northeast corner of Parrett and Adams and first opened on September 27, 1913. It was designed by Frank J Schlotter and built in the Moorish Revival architecture. The Alhambra thrived for many years, even through extensive flooding during the 1937 Flood.
The exterior of the theater was renovated a few years back, and plans are currently underway to remodel the inside. The hope is to reopen the theater to serve the Evansville and the neighboring arts district.
Due to the mega-theater complexes, the theatre–along with other neighborhood theatres–suffered declining business. The Alhambra closed in 1956 and sat vacant for years thereafter.
The exterior of the theatre was renovated a few years back, and plans are currently underway to remodel the inside. The hope is to reopen the theater to serve the Evansville and the neighboring arts district. Our mission statement is “To restore and preserve the Alhambra Theatre for culturally diverse, multipurpose community usage.” Also, we are a 501(c)(3) Non-profit organization established as educational in the Arts, Culture, and Humanities!
50 Adams Avenue
Be Social with Alhambra Theatre!